While figuring what to do with Capri handles, a few ideas came to my mind. One of them was to recess the handle in the armrest area, but that didn’t work as planned. Every solution was kinda clumsy. Also, I needed some kind of frame around the door opening handle, so my decision was to relocate the handle, and go fully custom of course.
I started, as always, with a few CAD designs. This one was the final one, and it was sent to laser cutting.
I wanted to hide the bolts as much as I could, so the holes were countersink.
The next step was to bend the plates, however, since the bracket is tiny, there was an issue occurring.
When you look at them side by side, you can see that one plate has a nice bend and the other one bends only on the edge.
Luckily, I have made a few extra brackets, so after some experimenting the set of four was made. After hand sanding and filling, they were sent to powder-coating.
I had a rough idea what kind of a bend I wanted, but it’s always good to double check before continuing.
So, first I cut the strap to size.
And melted the edges to prevent them from undoing.
The idea was to use three layers of straps, to give the handle more volume and rigidness, but I have also cut a piece of Kydex material to make it even stronger.
The trick with the double sided tape is great when I need to stitch something thick, and I don’t want it to move while doing that.
Kydex inserted before the final layer.
Stitching in progress.
After the stitching, everything was bolted to its place directly to the door for extra strength.
I glued a couple of screw caps to hide the bolts.
The handle has a nice curvature, just enough to get your hand in comfortably.
There it is, another project within a project is done. #projectception