The car engine, which I once got, from unknown reason hadn’t got an air filter. At that point, to make a transparent air filter box seemed like a great idea, since Capri was supposed to be a show car and not a travel one. Anyhow, I decided to put a k-jetronic injection system and by doing that there was no need for an air filter anymore… but when I realized that I had made a mistake and hadn’t made a reliable conversion, I decided to install the carburetor back and the filter too… the filter that I didn’t have anymore Luckily I knew how the original looks, its height and diameter, so I acquired an identical one. But again, the problem of the filter box remained. I looked up existing solutions, so I managed to make a new box by metal-belting. That is the process in which a rotating metal plate presses into a template – an old and reliable solution.
The first box was made out of a transparent plexiglass and, although it would have been okay to show off with, it was too kitschy for anything else.
After aluminium rolling, I made a template and outlined a future hole/opening.
Certain people (Miljak) commented that it looked like a stew cauldron… which isn’t a comment out of place since cauldrons are usually made either by compression/pressing or exactly the way I made the box.
With all the available machine technology I decided to manually drill a billion holes and then process the rest with a rasp.
Testing the fit before the powder-coating.
The final version that looks like it has been here from day one.