I bought a set of amplifiers some time ago and stored them, because I wanted to incorporate them into the overall design. The rear shelf looked like a perfect place to mount them, since there was no room for anything else. After a few failed ideas, I finally came up with a plan and the build started.
The rear shelf was was replaced with a thicker steel plate.
The raster was set for the reinforcement and ventilation holes.
I used the embossing tool to strengthen the shelf even more. As for the holes, they have a couple of functions: porting bass from the trunk, cooling the amplifiers, and porting the warm air from the trunk heater onto the rear glass.
The basic layout was created.
This nut riveting tool came in handy again in the build.
Bottom part of the rivet nut. Everything still needs to be painted.
Top view of the rivet nut.
Wanted to create a continuous surface in the back, so I needed to fill the gaps between the amplifiers somehow. I came up with the idea – I could get a shell from a burned-out amplifier and cut it to size.
I found a local shop that has a huge aluminum cutting saw, and had the amplifier casing cut to desired lengths and angles.
The single amplifier casing was enough to cut all the pieces I needed .
By utilizing one of the fastening screws, I created the hinges for the covers.
The hinge in action.
For the front fastening I used the L brackets, rivets, screws and some more rivet nuts.
At the last moment I decided to re-drill the rivets, since I haven’t been pleased about how they held the brackets to the cover.
The threads were cut and everything was tightened together with bolts.
I had an issue with the clearance at the edge.
The problem was solved by using a hacksaw.
Finally all the mounting has been done, but to make the amplifiers more like the rest of the interior, there was some more work to be done.
In the meantime, bunch of parts were sandblasted and the epoxy primer was added. I preheated the rear shelf, so the vibration dampening material could be installed.
The sound deadening material was applied to the surface.
Instead of those expensive sound deadening rollers, I used the wallpapers ones and for me they worked like a charm.
To reduce the possibility of getting the sound deadening smell, I decided to use the self adhesive aluminum foil.
This is Oleg. He had a day off, so I decided to use the best of the situation. He was applying the aluminum foil for an hour.
Next step was cutting the leather into three pieces and sewing them together.
I tend to make everything detachable, but this time the leather needed to be glued. I used a polyurethane based glue.
This is the edge trim, which I used throughout the build.
It was cut to size and inserted in designated spots. The stitch work was aligned with the center of the mono block amplifiers.
To get the amplifiers similar to the rest of the interior, I decided to powder-coat them.
Everything prepared and ready for the next stage.
The final product, mounted to the shelf.
Since the Capri doesn’t have the rear wire defroster, the amplifiers will heat up the rear window. A small heat blower will be mounted in the trunk, so the hot air will be ported through the holes onto the rear windscreen.
There is some minor work with the fine aligning of the amplifiers and covers, and the wiring. Until then, thank you for your attention!