Like with the most of things, if you want it to make it right, you will have to make a few prototypes and different versions, until you have the one that meets the final fitting. The same thing happened here – first I had the idea of bending and welding with CO2, then drilling holes for all the screws… after I finished, I realized that the final result was not satisfactory to me and I decided to make it all over again, with even more detailed new laser cut segments, and this time I used TIG welding technology.
Welding process at Očić workshop.
After the powder coating, the frame was mounted on previously prepared screws that also serve to hold the L profile, front cover console. Of course, I used Loctite, so the nuts wouldn’t get loose from vibrations.
I made a hole pattern for mounting the specific radio and CB station with a certain tolerance to fine-tune position.
Because of the required specific non linear movement, I repurposed some furniture hinge models. Also, I decided to disable relatively aggressive pull springs on the hinges and incorporate magnets to hold the door for a much smoother operation.