Custom Ford Capri struts
Like the all the parts of the build, front struts also got an overhaul with a twist.
One of the first tasks was to take a few donor struts. As you can see, they where not in a road worthy condition.
I had two sets, so they both got stripped.
The next step was to weld those reinforcement triangles.
Bottom of the strut was also welded and reinforced.
Couple of months forward and this scary situation of putting new 145lbs springs was at hand.
They look all nice and pretty. The end.
And then this happened. I got a chance to collaborate with On Air Ride System, a Croatian air ride manufacturer to get the build bagged.
After few weeks, guys from On Air Ride System have made all the adapters and bits for the air ride system, and also welded and blazed the bottom cup to the strut. I got them zinc plated for the extra protection.
With the air ride I wanted to make a clean brake line/air hose mount.
So I started with drawing the contour.
Some grinding and cutting later, the shape started to emerge.
A bit more marking and drilling.
Tack welded in place.
Fully welded from below.
And fully welded from above. I am definitely not winning those weld beauty contests, but it surely gets the job done.
New double mounts are much stronger and nicer then the original ones. Also there is a less chance of rusting, since there is no overlapping panels.
They were basically ready for the installment and then they looked like this.
The first idea was to route a flexible line, but I wanted something more durable so ended using the hard line.
All new high straight brake caliper bolts, retention plates, and other bits.
Zinc plated parts.
Machined raw parts.
The rings were also zinc plated.
And then powder-coated with aluminum bits anodized.
A nice detail of a seal and a teflon guide .
All bits and pieces in one place and ready for the installment.
I used Loctite glue and torque wrench to tighten all the bolts in crisis-cross patterns, in order to make a safe and quality seal.
Just checking the brake caliper mount.
Inside the bags there will also be this rubber bumps, so even in case of an air ride failure, the car will still be able to drive.
No fooling around with the brakes, everything is thread-locked, torque wrenched and blocked with metal retainers.
Air ride bolts ready for the top cap mounting.
This heavy duty LPG copper line with the outside protection coat was perfect for hard lines in my case.
After bunch of work later, sandblasting and powder coating, they’re all done.
Sierra XR4i calipers and discs.
For the all air system, fittings were used in combination with the thread sealant, prior to tightening just to minimize the chance of air leakage.
The air ride looks like it was meant to be there.
Because of long bolts I used this tube spacers just to hold the discs in place during the handling.
The custom Ford Capri struts are done and look better than expected, the next step is to mount them in place.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stuff
Also, if you like the content we’re making, you can help us push the project and support us at