Wiper mechanism is the one of those things that you usually don’t see, because it’s installed behind some kind of bulkhead, and usually its replacement requires quite a lot of work. I believe that its refurbishment will reduce the deterioration of the unit, and minimize the chances of failure. So, here’s Ford Capri wiper mechanism restoration.
The unit was generally in working condition, except from the broken back cover and overall deterioration.
This is how forty five years of grease, dust and rust looks like.
The first step was to disassemble everything.
In order to remove the rust, the whole lever assembly was dipped in a household vinegar which also stripped the zinc plating.
Some more brushing.
Even more brushing.
Brushing, brushing, brushing.
Oh look, brushing.
I like to sandblast prior to powder-coating, but in order to reduce the time of sandblasting and also the cost, a run with electric brush helps a lot in cleaning the surface.
Using zinc spray on some smaller bits for extra protection.
After all parts were either zinc plated or powder-coated, everything is ready for assembly.
A detail shot.
During the assembly I used Loctite just to minimize the chance of loosening the bolts.
Greasing up all the movable parts.
For greasing the joints I used syringe and pushed the grease trough the small 1mm hole.
Cleaning the end switch contacts. The motor housing was also brush painted btw.
I also sanded it with 2000 grain sand paper to remove the surface grease and oxidation.
The assembled unit.
If you remember the detail from the beginning, here it is again – but refurbished.
Detail of the wiper arm pinion.
Spacers were also powder-coated.
Some more details.
Only thing left is to mount the unit and connect the wires.
Also, if you like the content we’re making, you can help us push the project and support us at